Benzonia began in 1858 as an educational Christian colony on the model of Oberlin, Ohio. Its founding was under the leadership of Charles E. Bailey. The village, which was once the county seat, was incorporated in 1891. In 1863 Grand Traverse College was chartered and began here. It was renamed Benzonia College in 1891. In 1900 the college was changed to a preparatory school named Benzonia Academy. The academy continued to function until 1918 when it was closed. In his book Waiting for the Morning Train, historian Bruce Catton captured local history and documented his perspective of growing up in Benzonia as his father was an instructor at the academy. Information from Wikipedia.org.
The Village of Benzonia maintains this web-site to enhance public access to information. Content is for informational purposes only . In the case of any discrepancy between this version and the official hard copy, the official hard copy will prevail. Contact the Village of Benzonia with questions.